Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1975 Camaro, Should she stay or should she go?

1975 Camaro, Should she stay or should she go?

I'm curious what other car enthusiasts would do if they were in my shoes. I'm on a limited budget so my ideas are:

1. Put her in the garage until I have enough saved to do the pro-touring build I have always wanted to do a complete rebuild

2. Make her mechanically functional for now with basic replacement parts and enjoy her and save what I can

3. Do a mix of one and two and upgrade what needs done to make her drivable. The rear leaf springs or ex. instead of getting the cheaper oem type replacements get the upgraded Hotchkis leaf springs or even go with a 4-link set-up

4. Sell her

That is a lot of body cancer. Front skins are easy, rear quarters are a lot more tricky. How is the floor pan and trunk? I would say save it. You sell it, and its a good chance its a parts doner at best.
    Last edited by AdamTheobald; 12-14-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Don't Hassle The Hoff!
    http://ohiorides.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167&d=1314562258

The rear quarters are what concern me the most, I know I can get everything else except the full rear quarters. Which is kinda silly because those are the worst areas on 2nd gens, but then again 2nd gens are not the most popular.

forgot to add that is does start up and run, struggles a little bit though

Subbed.

I'd say sell it man...to me!! Just kidding. Do what you think is best for YOU. This is definitely a project car, so what I would do is put it in the garage at least until Spring, and then re-evaluate the situation. It's a tough decision to make, I know. I regret selling my projects. If you did sell it, I would try and make sure that the new buyer had plans on a restore, it would be horrible to see that thing parted out.
    http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm84/xBcustom/sccoMarine-Sig2.jpg

2007 Nissan Titan CC SE
    "Murdered", 2" level kit
    Custom Magnaflow exhaust, nismo CAI

Definitely waiting until spring time, who wants to buy a project car in the cold? Nobody in my family wants me to sell it, my mom lets me keep it in her garage and her monte carlo sits outside. I'm really thinking about option 2 right now. Reason being is I have driven it a little, mostly just around the block, and I don't think it will take too much work (knocking on wood) to get it drivable. Rear leaf springs, exhaust, gaskets and seals, fluids, check hoses etc and defiantly inspect the brakes. Of course I know it never works out that easy, but this way i can enjoy the car a little bit, not spend too much and still save for option 1. But with life and everything else I may never get to option 2 before I have enough saved to start on option 1.

side note, it's amazing the difference in opinions from different forums and how that compares to how their members "attitudes" are. I really need to be on this one a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by o0n8 View Post
    side note, it's amazing the difference in opinions from different forums and how that compares to how their members "attitudes" are. I really need to be on this one a whole lot more.
    That is because, we is kool. No, I know exactually what you mean. I would rather have a high quality group of people on here then just a ton of people who are mainly jackasses.

Option 1 is a good one. You can learn skills while working on the car. I would start sanding the tail end now so you can really see how much damage is back there. That is the hardest area to work on these cars. Check under the interior carpet, and in the trunk for rust/holes. If they are sound, and the rear is not eaten through all over, then it should be pretty easy.

I will tell you that doing fenders and all yourself. Most of the body work, less welding etc. on the cheap side your still going to be looking at $3500+. On top of your time and that would not include a paint job.

Would you make a Z28 clone, or just leave it an LT?
    Don't Hassle The Hoff!
    http://ohiorides.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=167&d=1314562258

I would sell it and i actually am looking for a project car BECAUSE it is winter. I have more time to work on it because I am not out enjoying the weather like I do in the spring and summer.

I don't want this project car though....
    2SS/RS BLK/Inferno Interior,Vararam Intake, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust
    Oracle DRL's and side markers, VIS Carbon Fiber Hood, ZL1 CALIPERS, CTS-V ROTORS
    Pedders "Camaro Pace Car" kit (upgraded EP1201), Diff bushings, Rear Toe Link Bushings, SS Brake Lines
    Back Street Performance did a Great job on my car.

like adam said i think id start assessing the amount of cancer on the car this winter, and that may be the ultimate deciding factor... there may be too much for you to want to take the project on, or it could be alot less than expected and really motivate you to keep the car

if you decide to keep it, and fix it up... i personally would probably go route #3 (or something close to it)
    id start slowly fixing it up little by little as money allowed, and if things need replaced id likely upgrade them at that time.

^click for build thread ^

Leave it an LT, No z28's in '75 and i plan on leaving the body pretty stock looking with some minor changes here and there. As far as engine I'm not sure on that. I've thought about a newer LS, but I've always wanted to pop the hood and look at dual carb set-up

for suspension, pretty much Heidt's catalog.
    Last edited by o0n8; 12-14-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Coming from a guy with too many projects, I'd agree with Adam. Assess the situation more fully first, and then decide in the spring. If your place is anything like mine, extra space is hard to come by, and that may not help with that decision too much. Hell, I'm storing my Miata at someone else's house this year.

^ that's why I'm only letting myself have 2 cars at a time. I'll try to post some more pics this weekend of the trunk and under body so you guys can get a look at those.

yeah... I have cut back on the fleet tho. I only have 3 cars at the house right now, and all 3 are drivable. The 2002 doesn't count.

To me a '75 isn't really a classic, to far into "smog motor age" by then, plus I never liked that front grill work even when new. Yeah it's cool and all but I'd just sell it if it were mine..... Now if it were only a few years older I'd have a different take on it.

2007 2LT with some Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
    To me a '75 isn't really a classic, to far into "smog motor age" by then, plus I never liked that front grill work even when new. Yeah it's cool and all but I'd just sell it if it were mine..... Now if it were only a few years older I'd have a different take on it.
    +1

Even when I see a perfect looking camaro from this 5+ year run, I think "that car is in really nice shape".... that's it..... not "oh man, look at this car" or anything like that.... this styling never did it for me, but to each their own..... Just like I have heard some people hate the new camaro, but I love it...obviously....
    2SS/RS BLK/Inferno Interior,Vararam Intake, SLP Loudmouth I exhaust
    Oracle DRL's and side markers, VIS Carbon Fiber Hood, ZL1 CALIPERS, CTS-V ROTORS
    Pedders "Camaro Pace Car" kit (upgraded EP1201), Diff bushings, Rear Toe Link Bushings, SS Brake Lines
    Back Street Performance did a Great job on my car.